I've updated the design for my 3D printed ball joint pixie doll. One of the problems with the original design was that the head was connected by fishing line to the elastic that runs between the arms. These dolls need to be restrung or tightened every so often when the joints become loose as the elastic stretches from use. Because I move the arms a lot more than the head on the doll I strung a few months ago, over time, the elastic between the arms has stretched and the head has taken up the slack, so the head has become very floppy.
New torso design
To address this, I've added a strut across the inside of the torso. Now the head can be attached using elastic or fishing line around the strut instead of around the elastic for the arms.
Heads no longer floppy
I've also made a wig. The wig is hand sewn from four pieces of faux fur - a semi-circle for each side, a strip down the middle and an optional extender piece at the back to give the wig some extra length. I drew a semi-circle around the side profile of the head onto paper and used the paper template to cut two matching sides from fur, then joined them with a 1.5cm wide strip. I added the extra piece at the back after deciding the wig needed extra length to balance the volume.
Inside the wig
Once the pieces are sewn together, the wig can be cut and styled as desired.