I've been making these rumballs every Christmas since I was tiny. This was my Nanna's recipe.
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (395g)
- 1 packet of milk arrowroot biscuits (230g)
- 1 cup of fine desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons Cadbury Bournville cocoa powder
- 4 - 6 tablespoons Bundaberg rum (to taste)
- Crush the biscuits using a food processor or manually by rolling over them with a rolling pin.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Add wet ingredients and mix well
- Roll into 2 - 3 cm balls and coat in shredded coconut
- Store in the fridge
I like to use fine desiccated coconut for the mixture and then roll the balls in shredded coconut to give them a more interesting texture but the fine stuff or chocolate sprinkles are ok for rolling too.
You can put the biscuits in a zip lock bag and roll over the bag with the condensed milk tin instead of a rolling pin if you are making these while camping.
You can use Gluten Free milk arrowroot biscuits but the packet is usually smaller than 230g so add an extra half cup or so of coconut to get the mixture to the right consistency. The rum tastes stronger in GF rumballs - try using just 3 tablespoons.
If the weather is very hot, put the mixture into the fridge for half an hour before rolling so it is not so sticky.
Wear food safe disposable kitchen gloves while rolling to avoid coating your hands in rumball mix.